ASM Membership 2017/2018
All prices are inclusive of GST and for the period of April 1, 2017 - March 31, 2018.
All fees listed are inclusive of GST.
- Associate Membership
- Student Membership
Student membership is available to any full time student in any discipline.
Applications must be followed promptly with confirmation from your supervisor about your student status. Your membership is not confirmed until your supervisor has confirmed with The ASM.
Click here to join or update your details
- Professional Membership (MASM)
Professional Membership (MASM)
Members of the Society are scientists whose professional experience and formal qualifications are judged by the ASM's National Qualifications Committee to be consistent with a professional level of commitment to their career in microbiology.
In order to obtain professional membership, one must be:
- Have completed the requirements of an academic qualification in microbiology at bachelors degree or postgraduate level acceptable to National Council of the Society; and
- Have satisfactorily completed two years of postgraduate full time employment or its equivalent as a practising microbiologist.
- Fellowship (FASM)
Fellows of the Society are those microbiologists who, through a process of peer assessment, are determined to be either specialists in their field, or scientists who have made a significant contribution to the profession.
Fellowship is the higher qualification of the ASM which is granted by the Council on the recommendation of the National Examinations Board. Please download information on the examination process below:
Download Fellowship Road Map
Download Fellowship Examination Information
Download FASM Application Form
- Honorary Membership
Honorary membership is conferred upon those people who have made an outstanding contribution to the Society or to the science of microbiology.
- Retired Membership
The Retired Membership category is for those Members over the age of 65 yrs who have retired from full time or part time work but wish to continue being up to date with the latest information Retired Members may still will retain their membership status.
- Sustaining Membership
Download Sustaining Member Application Form
Benefits of Sustaining Membership include:
- being a member of one of the largest biological societies in Australia
- public recognition of support, branding and association on various ASM marketing and communication material (company logo and weblink on the ASM website, acknowledgment in 2 ASM eNews bulletins)
- opportunity to use your show of support as an excellent marketing & communication tool as a means of expanding your company's continued growth - label your company as progressive, generous and most importantly, dedicated to the medical scientific industry.
- membership will provide an opportunity to drive new business and reinforce existing relationships with ASM members.
- direct access to Society publications including the Society's Journal, Microbiology Australia
- access to variety of events organised by State Branches
- access to a program of continuing education via the Visiting Speakers Program which brings out eminent and world recognised microbiologists and research scientists to tour Australia
- opportunity to participate and support in a variety of annual Awards, Fellowships and scholarships
- access to over 20 Special Interest Groups covering most sub-disciplines of microbiology