From the Federal Budget Lockup
It is no surprise that there is little new for science in tonight's Federal Budget. After the announcement of the $1.1 Billion National Innovation and Science Agenda (NISA) last December, it was unlikely additional measures would follow.
Some measures include:
- $110.5 million to Geoscience Australia to produce geographic modelling of mineral, groundwater and petroleum resources across South Australia and Northern Australia;
- $15 million for a national carp control plan;
- The Bureau of Meteorology will receive funding to maintain its supercomputer capabilities, with the total amount commercial-in-confidence;
- The Great Barrier Reef Plan and Trust will get a $171 million boost, extending the program to make the reef more resilient;
- $12 million for an extension of the Australian Astronomical Observatory, taking it out to 2019/20
For more information on NISA, visit http://www.innovation.gov.au/page/agenda "